[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #12931: Upgrading a Single Site install to MultiSite Install with Subdirs is not safe

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri May 21 04:36:35 UTC 2010

#12931: Upgrading a Single Site install to MultiSite Install with Subdirs is not
safe
 Reporter:  nacin         |       Owner:  nacin
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  accepted
Component:  Multisite     |     Version:  3.0
 Severity:  blocker       |    Keywords:  needs-patch

Comment(by wpmuguru):

 Replying to [comment:12 nacin]:
 > Okay, so we ignore post_status = inherit perhaps.
 >
 > They can add the filter. We don't want people to publish 3 posts and
 then break those links without them knowing what they're doing 100%.

 With what you are proposing, someone can install, tweak the install for 3
 months and turn on the network with a folder install as long as they have
 not pushed the publish button. Alternatively, if they write a "This is my
 new site" post or they create posts/pages to set up the new custom menu
 feature, they need to add a plugin to do the same.

 Philosophically, it seems a bit out of sorts for a publishing platform to
 make things more difficult for the people who have an immediate interest
 in publishing content over those who don't.

 If the site is less than a month old, some people may have to update a
 link or two, but they will get over it.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12931#comment:13>