[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #10712: Sub categories automatically append a dash followed by the name of the parent

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Mar 26 10:16:30 UTC 2010

#10712: Sub categories automatically append a dash followed by the name of the
parent
---------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  guischarf      |        Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |       Status:  reopened

Comment(by kpdesign):

 Replying to [comment:10 dd32]:
 > I'm not sure why this ticket was set to fixed, It should've been closed
 as wontfix.

 > The behaviour you are seeing is the correct behaviour.
 >
 > If a term exists elsewhere with that slug, then newly created terms will
 have the parent's slug appended.

 > In your case, I believe this may be due to you having a 'bbpress' tag or
 similar?

 > However, This may be a change between 2.9 and 3.0 (Just as it was a
 change between 2.8 and 2.9 reported here), The slugs are being set as
 unique across all taxonomies, and existing terms are not being re-used in
 different taxonomies (to inherit the same Name/slug)

 This did not happen in 2.9, so the issue was fixed there. It has started
 again in 3.0.

 There are no post tags in any of the installs (I don't use them), so it
 can't be finding a similar tag.

 The attached screenshot is from a clean install - no content added or
 changed after install, only 1 new category and 3 new subcategories. The
 parent slug is being appended to '''every''' subcategory created.

 To be sure it wasn't keying on the 'press' portion of the subcategory
 names (which it shouldn't), I added another subcategory 'hownowbrowncow',
 and the parent slug was appended to that as well.

 I can understand doing that if WordPress finds another category,
 subcategory, or post tag exists with the same name, but each of these
 subcategory names are unique, so the parent slug '''should not''' be
 appended to it.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10712#comment:11>