[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #13857: Email notifications lack a link to the comment, from address could be improved

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Jun 11 21:27:24 UTC 2010

#13857: Email notifications lack a link to the comment, from address could be
improved
 Reporter:  hexley        |       Owner:
Component:  General       |     Version:
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:  email notifications,reply-to header, from header
 '''Email Notification'''
 For the 6+ years I believe I have been using WordPress, the emails that
 notify me someone has made a comment have several links in them.

 '''Fields within an email notification'''
 Email, Url, Whois, Comment, All Comments, Delete, Spam

 The comment, at least in plain text emails, contains html markup, which
 often is encoded making it hard to read, depending on the comment
 complexity.  I suggest a simple strip_html style function be ran on the
 comment copy.

 The link to the comments only takes you to the comments, but does not add
 in the identifier in the url to take you to that specific comment.  The
 blog I am managing has 30+ comments on each page, making it harder than it
 should be to get to the comment and reply.

 An example of a better method might be:
 http://example.com/foo-bar-baz/#comment-7348
 Compared to:
 http://example.com/foo-bar-baz/#comments
 ----
 '''Email Headers'''
 The From header in the email is is correctly set to the "Name" value the
 user filled into the comment form, the email address is set to
 wordpress at example.com where example.com is the domain of the site.

 However, the reply-to header is correctly set to the actual sender.
 Bounces (NDR's) and the cosmetic view of an email could all be improved
 with a simple condition:

 {{{
 if is_valid(emaIl) then
   from = name & ' <' & email & '>'