[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #13689: multisite noblogredirect set, 404 error result not sending proper info with IIS

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Jun 3 10:12:24 UTC 2010

#13689: multisite noblogredirect set, 404 error result not sending proper info with
IIS
 Reporter:  Frumph        |       Owner:
Component:  General       |     Version:  3.0
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:  Multisite Subdomain 404

Comment(by Frumph):

 This is a bad behavior situation.

 I figured it out after spending a few hours on it

 function maybe_redirect_404() is not needed, .. at all. It's the cause of
 the situation, and let me explain in a little detail.

 Now the actual *problem* with it is that since it's using the is_404()
 check right there and the user has NOBLOGREDIRECT set, all 404 errors get
 captured right there and get sent to the NOBLOGREDIRECT, the behavior
 should be that the 404 pages get sent to the 404 error page regardless;
 however, since it's being captured/used there there's no chance for it to
 hit it with NOBLOGREDIRECT defined.

 On my IIS system for some reason with the 404 error pages (not bad sites)
 the wp_redirect is sending a blank $destination to it.

 If I completely remove maybe_redirect_404() and it's filter call for it
 *everything* works in multisite, the behavior is appropriate.

 On SubDirectory installations:
 404 errors redirect to the 404 page.  /baddirectory calls redirect to 404
 page.

 OnSubdomain installations:
 (without) NOBLOGREDIRECT
 # 404 errors go to the 404 error page
 # wrong subdomains go to the signup page properly

 (with) NOBLOGREDIRECT
 # 404 errors go to the 404 error page
 # wrong subdomains go to the destination set in NOBLOGREDIRECT

 This is *without* the maybe_redirect_404().  At some point I'm sure the
 function existed with WPMU to handle *some* situation at one point or
 another but it's not needed now.

 This information needs confirming of course but on my system here it's
 detrimental to have it exist and have the multisite's behave properly.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/13689#comment:2>