[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #14181: When using custom post/taxonomy terms in a menu, menu system breaks if taxonomy changes

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sat Jul 3 15:47:46 UTC 2010

#14181: When using custom post/taxonomy terms in a menu, menu system breaks if
taxonomy changes
 Reporter:  jaredwilli    |       Owner:
Component:  Menus         |     Version:  3.0
 Severity:  major         |    Keywords:  menu, taxonomies, terms
 Just had this happen for the 3rd time now, twice yesterday, but this time
 it was caused by changing themes, which makes it even more likely to
 happen to others, I'd imagine.

 The problem involves the nav menu system complete breaking, in a bad way
 as far as I can tell too. I tried several different things to try and
 repair whatever was causing it to entirely collapse and was unsuccessful
 in finding a fix.

 The only thing I was left to do was reset the whole WordPress install to
 the defaults.

 When you create a custom taxonomy, (post types most likely would do this
 too but I didn't want to test it) then add terms to the taxonomy as you
 would. Then add terms of that taxonomy to a custom menu that you set up
 with the new menu manager feature, if for some reason or another the
 custom taxonomy you made is removed, changed or altered in anyway which
 would make it unrecognizable by the terms which depend on its existing
 then the menu system breaks.

 Not sure if that is clear enough.

 Basically, you cannot leave terms of a custom tax included in a custom
 menu, if you decide to change your taxonomy's name, or setup, or remove
 it. And it is easy to forget to remove them too I've learned.

 Also, the 3rd time it happened because i had terms in a menu, and i
 switched my sites theme to a different one which did not have the custom
 tax of the theme before.

 The errors I get where my menu should be is:
 ---
 Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to
 string in \new2wp\wp-includes\formatting.php on line 2829
 ---

 And also, when I got to the menu manager page in the dashboard, it's just
 a white page with an error. When viewing the source code of the page, this
 is all that is there:

 ---
                 <li id="menu-item-62" class="menu-item menu-item-depth-1
 menu-item-consumer menu-item-edit-inactive">
                         <dl class="menu-item-bar">
                                 <dt class="menu-item-handle">
 <b>Catchable fatal error</b>:  Object of class WP_Error could not be
 converted to string in <b>C:\wamp\www\new2wp\wp-
 ---

 Idk if someone else around here would know of a fix for this that didn't
 involve resetting WP to defaults, but it seems like it might be a good
 idea to try not to have to find one and fix this.

 Also, I've written a complete in-depth post with all the details I found
 in 6 hours of trying to figure out what happened, here:
 http://new2wp.com/rookie/bug-wordpress3-taxonomies-wp_nav_menu/

 Thanks,

 Jared Williams