[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #10952: Wordpress checks for core/plugin/theme upgrades upon every hit to [almost] any admin page

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Jan 11 07:44:57 UTC 2010

#10952: Wordpress checks for core/plugin/theme upgrades upon every hit to [almost]
any admin page
 Reporter:  archon810     |       Owner:
Component:  Performance   |     Version:  2.8.4
 Severity:  major         |    Keywords:  reporter-feedback

Comment(by archon810):

 @nacin, thanks, got it about the version reported.

 Looks like the problem is indeed related to the object-cache.php file. I
 did discover it in wp-content, svn status'ed it, and it wasn't in the repo
 (that is obvious now).

 I have a feeling a lot of people might still have this file on their
 servers and it would cause this bug to appear quite stealthily (most
 people wouldn't be able to trace it or figure out what is slow - they'll
 just think WP admin is slow), as a lot of people upgrade by overwriting
 their WP installation. Even though I update to new WP versions via svn
 switch, I guess somehow this file evaded being deleted.

 What is the history here? Was this file there before and then was removed?
 In that case, is there merit to trying to detect it somewhere in the admin
 code and warn the user about it?

 Thanks again.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10952#comment:16>