[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #12253: MU global taxonomy can be disrupted when blog db tables are copied directly in

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Feb 16 17:57:25 UTC 2010

#12253: MU global taxonomy can be disrupted when blog db tables are copied directly
in
 Reporter:  donncha       |       Owner:
Component:  Multisite     |     Version:  2.9.2
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:
 If you've used MU much you'll probably have noticed that term_ids increase
 whenever you edit a category or tag. There's actually a bug #12206 about
 it but I closed it earlier today. This is how we maintain global
 tags/categories in MU. Whenever one is changed you have to assume some
 other blog may have used it already so you have to give the changed
 tag/cat a new term_id.

 That makes it easy to maintain the correct term_id for the same tag or
 category across blogs.

 Well, that all goes out the window when you copy a blog into a wpmu site
 using phpmyadmin and not through the WP importer.

 It's not normally much of a problem except if you want to do something
 with the global tags like use the sitewide tags plugin. The problem showed
 there with numeric categories instead of the correct category showing on
 the tags table.

 I received a patch for fixing the plugin that checked the cat_ID before
 inserting the post into the tags blog. (props Nasim Mansurov) Upon
 investigation I discovered he had copied his first blog's db tables
 directly into his MU site.

 MU really should handle that more gracefully. It should do a once off
 check of the categories and tags, comparing them against the data in the
 sitecategories table and adjust the term_ids in the local blog's taxonomy.