[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #15397: redirect_guess_404_permalink() purposedly doesn't guess posts with updated dates

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Dec 27 04:50:38 UTC 2010

#15397: redirect_guess_404_permalink() purposedly doesn't guess posts with updated
dates
 Reporter:  archon810    |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by archon810):

 Replying to [comment:5 dd32]:
 > Removing the specific months/days from the query has been mentioned
 before, and IMO it'd be nice if it could catch cases like that as well.

 > But it gets to a point where it may make the redirection more liberate
 than preferred, As soon as I saw this ticket, I thought that perhaps, we
 should be returning a Search Results page listing the possible locations
 which may have been intended..

 > Another option, is to attempt redirection with the date, and
 progressively remove refinements until a single post is returned. (ie.
 2010/05/04/postname doesnt return, does 2010 + 05 + 04 + postname return?
 ok, how about 2010 + 05 + postname, 2010+postname? etc)

 A search page for when the # of results is > 1 sounds acceptable, and so
 does the latter solution, although my concern is that it might result in
 more queries (which, in this case, is actually not bad - it would only
 result in 1 more query if there are no results by the time you get to the
 date filter).

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/15397#comment:6>