[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #15769: WordPress ships with copyrighted "Hello Dolly" lyrics which could potentially terminate the GNU GPL of the package

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Dec 17 14:53:50 UTC 2010

#15769: WordPress ships with copyrighted "Hello Dolly" lyrics which could
potentially terminate the GNU GPL of the package
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  novasource        |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by hakre):

 Replying to [comment:40 zamoose]:
 > hakre:
 > Your subject was a bit on the incendiary/absolutist side of things. Sans
 a qualified legal opinion or actual judgement, stating that it absolutely
 terminates the GPL for the entirety of WordPress isn't (if you'll excuse
 the term) in evidence. I edited it a bit for wiggle room.

 Right, as of yet I do not ''probativly know'' the extend of restrictions
 that apply while making use of the Hello Dolly lyrics shipping with
 wordpress. Good point with the wiggle room.

 I hope we do not need to first altogether perform a Broadway musical
 (,sure GPLed,) containing those hello dolly lyrics to find out ;)

 For the [http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/compliance-
 guide.html opinion] (search for termination) and [http://gpl-
 violations.org/ some judgements], the termination thing is the motor
 behind enforcing the GPL as far as I understand it. But for general
 discussion: the [http://www.wptavern.com/forum/licensing/2093-hello-dolly-
 copyright-gpl.html tavern]. I already updated my
 [http://hakre.wordpress.com/2010/12/15/wordpress-licensing-
 issues-%E2%80%93-plugins-are-gpl-right/ blog post].

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/15769#comment:45>