[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #15769: WordPress ships with copyrighted "Hello Dolly" lyrics which could potentially terminate the GNU GPL of the package

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Dec 17 04:55:31 UTC 2010

#15769: WordPress ships with copyrighted "Hello Dolly" lyrics which could
potentially terminate the GNU GPL of the package
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  novasource        |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by zamoose):

 @sc0ttclark:

 While I agree in a software dev sense with your conclusions, I do think
 this is a slightly different matter in that, if the use of "Hello Dolly"
 is indeed an infringement of IP and not, in fact, fair use, then the
 WordPress project is in active violation of the law and therefore liable.

 The only two solutions are, to my mind:

 1) It's fair use, the lyrics stay in, end of story.
 2) It's not fair use and, since we're aware of this, it comes out right
 now, lest we expose the Project, Automattic and/or the WP Foundation to
 potential legal liability in the event of a suit, since continuing to
 knowingly distribute unlicensed material in this manner could be seen as
 willful disregard of the applicable laws.

 I personally understand that this comes at a highly inconvenient time for
 the project as a whole and the core committers in particular, and I don't
 think I've seen evidence that anyone else on this ticket or wp-hackers is
 under any illusions that it is such. I'd love to put it to bed and wipe
 our hands of the mess lickety-split.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/15769#comment:43>