[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #14719: New plugin page on wordpress.org is missing the links to developer and plugin website.

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Aug 30 15:57:11 UTC 2010

#14719: New plugin page on wordpress.org is missing the links to developer and
plugin website.
---------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  vteixeira      |        Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |       Status:  reopened
Changes (by vteixeira):

 * cc: vteixeira (added)
  * keywords:  close =>

Comment:

 Well, the fact is:

 When I'm searching for a plugin and I find one that is new or that I never
 heard about THE FIRST thing I do is going to the plugin website where I
 can usually read a blog post about the plugin, read comments by other
 people that uses the plugin and get docs and everything related to the
 plugin.
 It's the only way to know if some people are facing problems with the
 plugin before you have to install it yourself and brake your website.

 If you don't know this there are communities around those plugins, there
 are conversations taking place on the plugins website.

 If there's no link how can I get the docs, view the plugin support forum
 (if there's one)...

 Example: I just found a new plugin on the directory today and I want to
 know who made it and want to visit the plugin and the developers site.
 There's no link anywhere!!! View it for yourself:
 http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/fast-image-adder/

 Even for popular plugins like contact form 7 and wp pagenavi I can't find
 the plugins site.
 On Lester Chan profile there's the url for his website but I don't get a
 link for each plugins page. One would need to search for it on the
 developers website or on google.

 When everybody talks about making things more usable, decreasing the
 number of clicks needed to perform some action you are just taking the
 opposite approach.

 If you remove the link to the plugin site you are going to kill those
 communities!

 That's it!

 Otto: I think this is the appropriate place for this kind of discussion
 (actually this discussion should not exist in the first place) because
 there's a section for WordPress.org bugs, enhancements and feature
 requests right here on the trac.
 Why this is not the right place? Do you think a mailing list is best?
 On 2010 I should be using a mailing list to communicate?

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14719#comment:14>