[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #13021: Function got_mod_rewrite brakes nginx, lightttpd, cherokee rewrite rules (causes infinite loop redirection)

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Apr 15 18:32:44 UTC 2010

#13021: Function got_mod_rewrite brakes nginx, lightttpd, cherokee rewrite rules
(causes infinite loop redirection)
 Reporter:  dz0ny         |       Owner:  ryan
Component:  Permalinks    |     Version:  3.0
 Severity:  major         |    Keywords:
 Hi,

 today I've been testing new version of WP and noticed that old permalinks
 (rewrite rules(http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WPMU) for other
 servers than Apache ), stopped working and that Wordpress assumes it's
 only run on Apache.

 After investigating I figured out, that for time being the best way is to
 define constant in config.php which overrides the detection, and assumes
 that you taken care of URL rewriting by yourself.

 Proposal:

 in wp_config.php
 {{{
 define ('FORCE_MOD_REWRITE', true );
 }}}

 and in wp-admin/includes/misc.php

 {{{
 function got_mod_rewrite() {
    if ( defined ( 'FORCE_MOD_REWRITE' ) )
                 $got_rewrite = true;
         else
                 $got_rewrite = apache_mod_loaded('mod_rewrite', true);
         return apply_filters('got_rewrite', $got_rewrite);
 }