[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #12991: Allow setting default_comment_status specifically for Pages (or for any post type)

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Apr 13 22:52:29 UTC 2010

#12991: Allow setting default_comment_status specifically for Pages (or for any
post type)
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  demetris     |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
Component:  Comments     |     Version:  3.0
 Severity:  normal       |    Keywords:
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Now that the default theme has {{{comments_template}}} in Pages too, I
 have been thinking that maybe we should offer a way of setting
 {{{default_comment_status}}} specifically for Pages (as distinguished from
 Posts).

 Why?

 Say that I select Twenty Ten as my theme.  I leave the global option for
 comments ON, because, like most people, I want comments on my Posts.
 However, like most people, I do not want comments on Pages, or I want
 comments only on a few selected Pages.  So, every time I make a new Page,
 I have to untick the checkbox on the Edit screen, in order to override the
 global setting.  That’s not convenient!

 I think we need to do something about that:

 Either we leave Twenty Ten as is and change something at the level of post
 type registration, or we change something in Twenty Ten.

 (I have no idea what would be a satisfactory way to deal with this at the
 theme level.  Sandbox, for instance, displayed the form on Pages only if
 there was a certain custom field with a certain value, which may seem very
 unfriendly at first sight, but I find it is much friendlier than what we
 have now in Twenty Ten.)