[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #10712: Sub categories automatically append a dash followed by the name of the parent

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Sep 1 12:58:15 UTC 2009

#10712: Sub categories automatically append a dash followed by the name of the
parent
 Reporter:  guischarf     |       Owner:
Component:  General       |     Version:  2.8.3
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:  subcategories
 Hello,

 I don't know whether this is a bug or a conceptual error. In 2.8.3 and
 2.8.4, what happens is that, whenever a subcategory is created, WP
 modifies the title entered by the user, appending a dash and the name of
 the parent category.

 Say, I have a parent category ''Frogs''. If I create the subcategory
 ''Green Frogs'' and give it the title green-frogs, WordPress will modify
 my title and create ''green-frogs-frogs''. To begin with, this defeats the
 purpose of the title field. If titles are to be generated by WP, the title
 field should be eliminated.

 I found a way around this by creating the soon-to-be subcategory without a
 parent and then assign it a parent. For example, I create ''Green Frogs''
 without a parent and give it the tittle ''green-frogs''. Afterwards, I
 assign Green Frogs as a child of Frogs.

 This behaviour, in my particular case, creates a problem, because I use
 category and subcategory titles to load images. If I create the
 subcategory ''Green Frogs'' I expect the application to load the image
 green-frogs.jpg, not green-frogs-frogs.jpg.