[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #6698: Editing a published post causes excessive pings / closing comments on old posts causes trackbacks

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sun May 24 20:26:11 GMT 2009

#6698: Editing a published post causes excessive pings / closing comments on old
posts causes trackbacks
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
 Reporter:  lapcat                   |        Owner:  Denis-de-Bernardy
     Type:  defect (bug)             |       Status:  closed

Comment(by rtz):

 I understand that you want to delay unnecessary pinging on edits and such,
 but the problem is that the ping for the ''original'' publish action, for
 a completely new post, is also delayed for an hour. That's probably not
 going to be popular, people expect their new posts to be pinged
 immediately, even if their minor edits are queued up for an hour.

 If I start editing a new post now, and publish immediately, I can see in
 Crontrol that a '''do_pings''' is scheduled for immediate execution, and a
 '''do_generic_ping''' for one hour into the future. The do_all_pings
 function no longer calls generic_ping, even for new posts.

 Ideally, for a completely new post, the ping should happen immediately, or
 at least be scheduled to happen one hour after the last ping, which in my
 case would be yesterday.

 I'm using version 2.8-beta2, rev 11440 on trunk.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6698#comment:21>