[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #9695: New widget interface moves the wrong inaccessible widgets when switching themes

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sat May 2 10:10:21 GMT 2009

#9695: New widget interface moves the wrong inaccessible widgets when switching
themes
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  Denis-de-Bernardy  |       Owner:  Denis-de-Bernardy
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  assigned
Component:  Widgets            |     Version:  2.8
 Severity:  major              |    Keywords:  needs-patch
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------

Comment(by Denis-de-Bernardy):

 I'm currently nailing it down to this:

 {{{
         // Assign to each unmatched registered sidebar the first available
 orphan
         while ( ( $sidebar = array_shift( $sidebars ) ) && $widgets =
 array_shift( $sidebars_widgets ) )
                 $_sidebars_widgets[ $sidebar ] = $widgets;
 }}}

 Apart from the fact that it does not work as the comment suggests it
 shows, it is invalid to do so. I've a plugin called Feed Widgets, for
 instance, which allows to put widgets after each post in a feed. If left
 empty, and were the above code work, it may end up tossing widgets into
 there, without the user being aware of it.

 I take it that it's there to make the likes of converting from sidebar-1,
 sidebar-2 to left-sidebar, right-sidebar automatic. But this can be so
 potentially bug prone that I believe we're better off not trying to do so
 at all, and letting the user configure his widgets as needed upon changing
 themes.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9695#comment:10>