[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #9335: Child categories error out as duplicates even if slugs and parent categories are different

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sat Mar 14 23:47:49 GMT 2009

#9335: Child categories error out as duplicates even if slugs and parent
categories are different
 Reporter:  mofoq           |       Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect (bug)    |      Status:  new
Component:  Administration  |     Version:  2.7.1
 Severity:  normal          |    Keywords:
 In short, child (sub) categories seem to be not allowed and error out as
 duplicates if another exists with that name, even though the slug and
 parent categories are different.

 Here's an example:
 Child category: Accessories
 Parent category: PC
 Slug: pcaccessories

 Child category: Accessories
 Parent category: Mac
 Slug: macaccessories

 It is related to a previously reported ticket (#6542) which was closed,
 siting a "duplicate" but it is not a duplicate issue as slugs are unique,
 yet it complains.

 I recommend that the code in Changeset #7336
 (http://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/7336) not check for the
 existence of an identical category but rather, an identical slug.

 (By the way, I'm using the latest stable release, 2.7.1)