[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #9262: Incorrect behaviour with using the PRE tag when switching between Visual and TML editor

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Mar 2 19:04:42 GMT 2009

#9262: Incorrect behaviour with using the PRE tag when switching between Visual
and TML editor
 Reporter:  shamess       |       Owner:  azaozz
Component:  TinyMCE       |     Version:  2.8
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:  html tags
 There's a problem with using the HTML <pre> tag, well it's contents
 actually.

 Typing something like
    <pre><randomTag>Hello</randomTag></pre>

 Will get parsed back to
    <pre>Hello</pre>

 When switch from the HTML editor to the visual editor. It's clearly just
 stripping out bag HTML, despite me having "WordPress should correct
 invalidly nested XHTML automatically" unchecked in the Writing settings,
 and text within <pre> tags not supposed to be changed in that way.

 Also, when using less than and greater than signs within <pre> tags,
 they'll get transformed into their html entity counterparts (&lt; and
 &gt;) which isn't what the user expects, since that's not what they want
 outputted to the screen.

 Basically:
 -Text between <pre> and <code> tags shouldn't be reparsed to be "fixed" by
 WordPress.

 I'm using 2.8 (bleeding edge), but this bug has been around for a while
 before. Can't remember when though.