[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #6698: Editing a published post causes excessive pings / closing comments on old posts causes trackbacks

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Jul 20 16:17:50 UTC 2009

#6698: Editing a published post causes excessive pings / closing comments on old
posts causes trackbacks
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
 Reporter:  lapcat                   |        Owner:  Denis-de-Bernardy
     Type:  defect (bug)             |       Status:  reopened

Comment(by Denis-de-Bernardy):

 Err...

 the expiration parameter is checked as such:

 if ( get_option($transient_timeout) < time() )

 So it's a timestamp that is needed, and your patch isn't working because
 of this -- it always returns false.

 Your other two points you raise are equally invalid. The value I put in
 the transient could be 1, or "about to do a ping", or whatever -- it
 doesn't matter, its time() value is only there in the event a plugin might
 want to know when it was set.

 Re the second point, it's just a different approach. With the patch I
 suggested we ping once per hour at most (and based on my testing since
 yesterday, it's working exactly as documented).

 With the one you're suggesting makes it ping once per hour per post. But
 if that's what we want, we should be tossing an ID parameter in
 generic_pings and in the cron.

 As to which is better, I honestly don't care myself. Keep in mind that
 pinging once per hour per post, however, is bait for marketers who scare
 poorly informed users into buying pricey solutions to "WP pings too often"
 problems. (See comments above, re the reason the throttling was
 introduced.)

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6698#comment:39>