[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #11219: could not be converted to UTF-8 / WordPress should cache failed feed fetches so as to avoid overloading feed sources

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sun Dec 20 18:22:12 UTC 2009

#11219: could not be converted to UTF-8 / WordPress should cache failed feed
fetches so as to avoid overloading feed sources
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  Denis-de-Bernardy  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new
Component:  Optimization       |     Version:  2.9
 Severity:  major              |    Keywords:  needs-patch
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
Changes (by Denis-de-Bernardy):

  * priority:  normal => high
  * severity:  normal => major

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:10 westi]:
 > The current patch doesn't seem to be the right thing to do here.

 the current patch does exactly what should be done.

 > SimplePie has determined that it wants to change the encoding and if
 this fails the function is meant to return false.

 No, SimplePie has determined that it cannot convert an UTF-8 string into
 UTF-8, not because it couldn't convert it or even needed to convert it,
 but because of crappy logic in its conversion function.

 I'll buy the security argument that we need to pass it through iconv or
 mb_string in the event the UTF-8 string is malformed, but if neither of
 those are available, we should succeed to "convert" UTF-8 into UTF-8.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11219#comment:13>