[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #10603: All folders created through wordpress media uploader are owned by the apache user, thus denying all access regardless of permissions

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Aug 13 06:10:38 UTC 2009

#10603: All folders created through wordpress media uploader are owned by the
apache user, thus denying all access regardless of permissions
 Reporter:  jakedahn      |       Owner:
Component:  Media         |     Version:
 Severity:  major         |    Keywords:  apache, user, upload, media, permissions, ownership
 Experienced the same issue documented here:
 http://wordpress.org/support/topic/253778?replies=15.

 Apache user takes ownership and denies write access regardless of 0755 or
 0777 permissions.

 I had to turn off file archiving by year/month to avoid creation of
 folders from wordpress because anything generated from wordpress is owned
 by the apache user.

 I've not seen this bug anywhere but on the mediatemple (dv) server that
 I'm working with. Possibly server configuration error?