[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #3260: XML output (rss, atom, rdf ...) should always use UTF-8 or CDATA for user input

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Aug 4 00:27:31 UTC 2009

#3260: XML output (rss, atom, rdf ...) should always use UTF-8 or CDATA for user
input
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
 Reporter:  deremder                 |        Type:  defect (bug)
Changes (by iron_xman):

 * cc: iron_xman (added)

Comment:

 Can we look at wrapping the title tag in the rss feed in CDATA as it
 throws up when there are entities in the title?  I've been building a
 script to bring in an rss feed from a wordpress site, and display it on my
 site, and it keeps coming back with the & #8217 as a weird garbage
 character.  When it's wrapped in CDATA tags, it works as expected.  In
 looking at the code, the content of the rss is in CDATA, but not the
 title, why?  The fix would be very simple to do, as long as there aren't
 any side effects.  I haven't noticed any in my own install.
 I hate hacking core files, so I'm requesting that this be added.  And as
 it pertains to this bug, I thought I would re-open it.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3260#comment:9>