[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #8632: "Search Categories" does not list/search sub-/childcategories, Tree is broken in "Edit Post"

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Apr 29 17:35:25 GMT 2009

#8632: "Search Categories" does not list/search sub-/childcategories, Tree is
broken in "Edit Post"
------------------------------+---------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  lloydbudd         |        Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect (bug)      |       Status:  closed

Comment(by pp19dd):

 First of all, I'm a pragmatist and I agree with you that bugs get picked
 one at a time depending on their severity.

 Replying to [comment:19 ryan]:
 > "PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: my_parent in
 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/trunk/wp-admin/includes/template.php on line 70"

 Sounds like you have strict error reporting on.  That variable is
 undeclared prior to looping.  I think inserting a '''$my_parent = true;'''
 prior to that while statement will take care of the issue; however, these
 are still bandaids.  That particular coding style is repeated in several
 places throughout that file.

 On a bigger scale, I think that this routine should be as primitive as
 possible and that the actual display, pagination and filtration should
 take place through AJAX.  In terms of code efficiency - as it is, *all*
 the categories/subcategories are already queried prior to displaying,
 regardless of search return.  Something as simple as dojo's
 Dijit.FilteringSelect could provide the functionality in one fell swoop.

 However, that's overtly ambitious.  It seems like this pagination question
 (and the undeclared variables) should be a larger philosophical issue of
 how to make searches and search options consistent.  For example, the
 public-facing site search ignores subcategories as a listing, etc.
 Perhaps categories, content items, and others should have a "searchable?"
 checkbox and maybe a priority weight.

 I'd reopen this bug, but, the patch seems 99% effective to me.  As it is,
 the WP backend is being redesigned and who knows which direction it will
 follow.  Think we should be aware of this limitation but keep the bug
 closed.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8632#comment:20>