[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #8729: "WordPress 2.7 is available! Please update now." Displayed in WordPress 2.7 Dashboard.

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Apr 22 13:36:18 GMT 2009

#8729: "WordPress 2.7 is available! Please update now." Displayed in WordPress 2.7
Dashboard.
 Reporter:  miqrogroove   |       Owner:  nbachiyski
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  assigned
Component:  i18n          |     Version:  2.7
 Severity:  major         |    Keywords:  has-patch

Comment(by nbachiyski):

 Denis, let's take the following case: you have a Wordpress 2.7.1 with a
 German MO file. Then the German local package is released. What should we
 do?

 1. Don't show a upgrade notice at all. This way the user may be running a
 old MO file and may not know how to get the new translaiton. In this case
 we won't confuse the user. I don't think that's the acceptable solution.
 We should encourage users to upgrade to local versions.

 2. Show the upgrade notice. Either if we show the Hide button or we don't,
 we confuse the user. I preferred the former, because it's not so hard to
 let the user make an informed decision about hiding the local upgrade.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8729#comment:29>