[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #9425: The various $is_* variables in $WP_Query should only be set on the very first query call. (was: is_home returns false when specifying included categories only)

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Apr 3 00:13:19 GMT 2009

#9425: The various $is_* variables in $WP_Query should only be set on the very
first query call.
--------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  mtg169                    |        Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect (bug)              |       Status:  reopened
Changes (by Denis-de-Bernardy):

  * status:  closed => reopened
  * severity:  normal => major
  * priority:  normal => high
  * milestone:  Unassigned => 2.8
  * resolution:  wontfix =>

Comment:

 I disagree. I ran into this one myself. For what it's worth, my conclusion
 at the time was that I should avoid the WP API and its built-in widgets at
 all costs. Because they were completely broken.

 It has improved since, but this is one of those areas where it still needs
 improvements.

 The fact of the matter is that the poor API and the poor documentation has
 led theme developers to actually use functions such as the above. They
 inconveniently reset the "true" query's internal variables, and you can
 then get is_category() to answer true when is_home() should and what not.

 The various $is_* variables in $WP_Query should only be set on the very
 first query call. Not on subsequent ones.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9425#comment:4>