[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #8152: WordPress should force all URL query string requests to be 255 characters or less

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Nov 11 11:45:59 GMT 2008

#8152: WordPress should force all URL query string requests to be 255 characters
or less
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  _ck_      |       Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect    |      Status:  new
Component:  Security  |     Version:  2.6.1
 Severity:  normal    |    Keywords:
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
 In the core at startup, WordPress should force all $_GET variables over
 255 characters to be either truncated or removed entirely for security.
 Optionally the entire query string should be checked for a length over 255
 characters and force WP to die if so.

 Apache unfortunately allows URL query strings to be up to 8192 characters
 long, which is happily passed to PHP and WordPress. This helps XSS and
 other URL query based attacks to get through. I've yet to see such an
 attack under 255 characters so let's make it much harder for them.

 It is extremely unlikely any legitimate request via $_GET would be that
 long and instead a plugin author would use $_POST. Of course there are
 attacks that use $_POST too but let's plug the holes that we can.

 RFC 2068 states that queries over 255 characters aren't necessarily
 tolerated, let's go for the lower bound.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8152>