[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #6903: avatar-default Class Not Assigned to Default Avatars By get_avatar() function

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sun May 4 14:53:32 GMT 2008

#6903: avatar-default Class Not Assigned to Default Avatars By get_avatar()
function
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
 Reporter:  jcrens8392                     |        Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect                         |       Status:  reopened
Comment (by Viper007Bond):

 No, you're missing my point -- WordPress doesn't know if the avatar that
 will be displayed will be the default one or not, it merely passes the URL
 to the default avatar off to the Gravatar servers. Whether to display the
 default avatar logo OR a user's uploaded avatar is handled entirely
 remotely.

 Look at this example URL:

 {{{
 http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/a5731d869dd8fcf8453f7491ab436f36?s=32&d=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gravatar.com%2Favatar%2Fad516503a11cd5ca435acc9bb6523536%3Fs%3D32&r=G
 }}}

 That URL could display either a custom avatar or the default avatar (as
 set via the `d` parameter) -- we don't know. In this case, it displays my
 avatar, but mess with that MD5 hash a little and you'll get the default
 avatar.

 The only way to do what you're looking for is to contact the Gravatar
 server and see what it's response is (I believe they have a script that'll
 return a XML formatted response).

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6903#comment:3>