[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #6446: wp_die increasingly inadequate: e.g. SWF uploader cannot understand wp_die error messages

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sat Mar 29 14:19:53 GMT 2008

#6446: wp_die increasingly inadequate: e.g. SWF uploader cannot understand wp_die
error messages
---------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  simonwheatley  |       Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect         |      Status:  new
Component:  General        |     Version:
 Severity:  normal         |    Keywords:
---------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 I've been trying to diagnose some issues
 (http://wordpress.org/support/topic/162198) with the Flash uploader on my
 dev server. In my case the issue was within the function
 ''wp_handle_upload'', specifically the file couldn't be moved to the
 correct location in the upload directory. ''wp_handle_upload'' tries to
 report any error using the function ''wp_die''... but ''wp_die'' generates
 a human readable *HTML* error report, and the SWF uploader cannot
 understand human readable error reports, so the SWF uploader has to use
 it's near useless default message of "An error occurred in the upload.
 Please try again later." To compound matters, ''wp_die'' does not write
 anything to a log, nor does it allow errors to be emailed out so in this
 case and any similar cases, it's hard to debug without having to put
 excessive ''error_log'' instrumentation into the code.

 The strides made recently by the WP team whereby WP runs without errors or
 notices (at least as far I've seen in WP 2.5 RC2) is fantastic, and opens
 up the possibilities for some really useful fail fast error handling,
 stack traces, optionally emailing errors to administrators, and so on. I
 believe _wp_die_ is now out of step with the modern Wordpress and needs
 replacing. I also know that talk is cheap, and I've not (yet) submitted a
 suggested patch for this.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6446>