[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #6262: Automatic Plugin Upgrade could break new plugins that require special instructions for upgrading

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Mar 18 01:38:02 GMT 2008

#6262: Automatic Plugin Upgrade could break new plugins that require special
instructions for upgrading
--------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  nerrad                    |        Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect                    |       Status:  new
Comment (by nerrad):

 >I asked on #wordpress-dev about it, And it seemed to be agreed on that
 this just automates the process most users follow anyway, If a plugin
 needs to do an upgrade proceedure, then it should reconise when its been
 updated(ie. like wordpress does with its database version); and perform an
 action then.

 Makes sense, except that this needs to be broadcast to plugin authors
 because although the usual behaviour is to simply overwrite files there
 are cases where a new version requires deactivation and reactivation (at
 least the way a plugin author has been used to coding their plugins). Of
 course the fix is as simple as instructing a user to deactivate and
 reactivate a particular plugin but I suspect the support forums will be
 busy ;)

 >I was thinking of maybe the readme.txt should be parsed, and if a section
 labled 'upgrading'(or similar) exists, then maybe WordPress could show
 that afterwards?

 Good idea.

 >Also note, that if a plugin was previously at plugins/joes.php, when the
 upgrader runes over it, it'll exist at /plugins/joes/joes.php, In that
 case, The plugin will no longer be activated, and needs to be activated
 manually.

 This could be a breaker for plugins that don't reference their files
 properly - again - this needs to be broadcast if there are no changes
 planned for 2.5 release.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6262#comment:2>