[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #6014: Users given the 'edit_users' capability can alter and create new users above their user level.

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Mar 12 17:47:56 GMT 2008

#6014: Users given the 'edit_users' capability can alter and create new users
above their user level.
 Reporter:  jeremyclarke  |        Owner:  pishmishy
     Type:  defect        |       Status:  assigned
Comment (by pishmishy):

 I'm not sure this can be fixed as you describe. It requires roles to have
 a clear ordering imposed on them, that Administrator > Editor > ... >
 Subscriber. This is something that we're trying to move away from as we
 transition from access levels to roles and capabilities. What may seem
 like an intuitive ordering of roles may not be expected by others
 (especially those using this "role manager" plugin).

 My recommendation is that any tool which allows the assigning of the
 edit_user capability to a user, or role, to make the consequences of that
 action very clear. The documentation in the codex should also make this
 clear.

 I hope that doesn't sound like I'm brushing aside the issue but I'm
 reluctant to consider a solution that looks at particular roles as being
 higher or lower than others.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6014#comment:2>