[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #7294: Minor changes checkbox for post revisions / possible new table for revisions

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sun Jul 20 03:07:57 GMT 2008

#7294: Minor changes checkbox for post revisions / possible new table for
revisions
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
 Reporter:  lilyfan                        |        Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  enhancement                    |       Status:  new
Comment (by DD32):

 >  Further,it would be very simple to create a process that removed
 revisions after a set amount of time (say 30 days, adjustable in the
 admin) to avoid ending up with a big database.

 Absolutely no reason why that cant be done with the post stored in the
 *_posts table. The post_type is set to 'revision' and theres Indexes on
 the appropriate fields to speed lookups

 > It would also allow a potential variant of keeping only the last
 revision, as an example, for any post.
 > Quite simply, enough people don't need revision history at all

 Well, Revisions are a great benfit to many people, However many people do
 not realise how useful they are, However, It is both possible to disable
 completely, And also limit it to storing x number of Revisions (Excluding
 autosaves): http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6775#comment:29

 > so why subject them to all the db overhead and such for no reason?
 I do believe the Overhead would be very minimal, Database indicies are
 used for a reason, To speed lookups and filtering, The post table probably
 allready contains more attachments than posts for some people as it is.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7294#comment:3>