[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #6635: Move categories & tags back to the Write Post/Page sidebar for efficiency & usability

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Apr 8 14:30:33 GMT 2008

#6635: Move categories & tags back to the Write Post/Page sidebar for efficiency &
usability
----------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  sillybean                         |        Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  enhancement                       |       Status:  new
Changes (by lelion):

  * keywords:  admin, edit => admin, edit, sidebar, write page

Comment:

 I'd like to add a couple of my thoughts on the subject here:

 I am totally 'for' bringing back most of the stuff, which was put down the
 page in the WRITE section of WordPress, back to the sidebar (not only
 'categories'). The current position of the panels 'tags', 'categories',
 etc., requires much more scrolling up and down the page, when preparing a
 new post.

 'Write a New Post': panels, which can safely go to the sidebar:
 'Tags', 'Categories', 'Comments & Pings', 'Password Protect this Post'.

 'Write a New page': panels, which can safely go to the sidebar:
 'Page Parent', 'Page Template', 'Page Order', 'Comments & Pings',
 'Password Protect this Page'.

 'Write a New Link': panels, which can safely go to the sidebar:
 'Categories', 'Target'.

 I believe that moving these to the sidebar will increase the usability of
 the 'Write' section! It's much more easier to write a post/page, when
 title & text is on the left, and most of the related meta info for the
 post/page (categories, tags, page parent, etc.) is on the right side.
 Also, today's screens become more and more wider (but not as much taller),
 so using this space in the sidebar is wise! :-)

 Also, a lot of users are accustomed to work this way in WordPress, and now
 it's impossible for them, because even if we can write a plugin, which may
 change to some extent the look of the Admin interface (via CSS), still, it
 is practically impossible to bring to the sidebar these panels, without
 changing some of the core WP files, and this is not a good idea!

 I know that at a later stage there are also plans to allow drag-n-drop of
 these panels again (as in version 2.3.3), so I won't file this here, for
 now :)

 Thanks:)

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6635#comment:1>