[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #6536: Introduce the concept of "read" and "unread" comments for better workflow in the admin

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Apr 2 01:57:21 GMT 2008

#6536: Introduce the concept of "read" and "unread" comments for better workflow
in the admin
 Reporter:  markjaquith     |        Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  enhancement     |       Status:  new
Comment (by filosofo):

 Instead of adding an extra column to the comments table, why not handle
 this in a meta-data table?
  * You don't really need a "read" or "unread" status for every comment:
 "spam" and "delete" are always in "read" status, in that like your Gmail
 account, they're not part of the inbox.  Unapproved comments are "unread."
 That leaves distinguishing between "read" and "unread" approved comments.
  * It would use less disk space, since instead of making every one of
 thousands of comments have a "read" status, we could assign a "read"
 status meta-value to just "unread" comments (since "unread" comments
 should be in the minority). Then we would delete that meta-value once the
 comment is read.  I.e. all unread comments have an "unread" meta-value of
 "1", and read comments don't have an "unread" meta value at all (which
 also provides simple backwards compatibility).
  * We need that meta-data table anyways, for all kinds of cool things like
 undo delete, threaded comments, comment voting systems, etc., and we could
 move the user data there.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6536#comment:1>