[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #4353: Users with edit_posts capability can see everyone's comments, IPs, and email addresses

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon May 28 16:59:04 GMT 2007

#4353: Users with edit_posts capability can see everyone's comments, IPs, and
email addresses
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
 Reporter:  idahofallzcom                                                        |        Owner:  markjaquith
     Type:  enhancement                                                          |       Status:  assigned
Changes (by markjaquith):

  * status:  new => assigned
  * summary:  Everyone above subscriber sees everyone's comments, IPs, and
              emails => Users with edit_posts capability can
              see everyone's comments, IPs, and email
              addresses
  * owner:  anonymous => markjaquith
  * type:  defect => enhancement
  * severity:  critical => major

Old description:

> I've been fighting this problem for several weeks now. I've updated Role
> Manager to the new one (not the owen winkler version), and it also does
> not fix the problem.
>
> Everyone above subscriber can click "comments" and see everyone's
> comments, email addresses, and IP addresses. This is a very BAD thing.
>
> From what I've read, edit_posts for contributor and authors is supposed
> to only display the person's own comments. However this function is
> broken somehow and instead anyone can see everyone else's comments.
>
> Is this a core code issue or a plugin issue? I think it is core code.
>
> This is very important for me to resolve because i've had to demote
> everyone on my blog to subscriber, and nobody is able to post anymore.

New description:

 I've been fighting this problem for several weeks now. I've updated Role
 Manager to the new one (not the owen winkler version), and it also does
 not fix the problem.

 Everyone above subscriber can click "comments" and see everyone's
 comments, email addresses, and IP addresses. This is a very BAD thing.

 From what I've read, edit_posts for contributor and authors is supposed to
 only display the person's own comments. However this function is broken
 somehow and instead anyone can see everyone else's comments.

 ----

 Mark Jaquith says:

 It wasn't designed to restrict people with {{{edit_posts}}} from only
 being able to see the comments they can edit.  That would require a slight
 tweak in the code.

 ----

 Is this a core code issue or a plugin issue? I think it is core code.

 This is very important for me to resolve because i've had to demote
 everyone on my blog to subscriber, and nobody is able to post anymore.

Comment:

 {{{edit_posts}}} is used to control comment editing, specifically, but
 viewing, generally.  If you have the {{{edit_posts}}} capability, you'll
 be able to view all comments, but only be able to edit the ones on your
 posts.

 Contributors won't be able to view any comments or edit any.  The only
 default role affected here is "Author."

 What you're advocating is a change in functionality, so I'm going to
 update the ticket to reflect that.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4353#comment:1>