[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #4427: When uploading files, can't use directory for file uploads one or more levels up from WP dir

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Jun 11 13:58:18 GMT 2007

#4427: When uploading files, can't use directory for file uploads one or more
levels up from WP dir
 Reporter:  lelion          |       Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect          |      Status:  new
Component:  Administration  |     Version:  2.2
 Severity:  normal          |    Keywords:
 Hello,

 First time trying to report bugs :)

 Here's a bug which appeared in WordPress since version 2.1.x upwards.

 I am using currently 2.2, and it is still there.

 It concerns blog setups, which use a dir for uploading files, which are
 higher in the file system on the server than the blog itself.

 Here's a quick example:

 I am using two blogs on my domain. One is in www.mydomain.com/bg/ and the
 other in www.mydomain.com/en/. (I blog in two languages, so I decided to
 create two blogs, instead of using a plugin.)

 Being so, for me is much easier to make a directory for file uploads,
 which will be in the root of my domain, and will be used for both blogs.
 In this case, I use www.mydomain.com/wp-uploads/. There are uploded files
 via the WP integrated file uploader.

 To specify this dir, when I first installed WP 2.05, I used the following
 format in OPTIONS -> MISC -> Store uploads in this folder: "../wp-uploads"

 '../' usually means 'go higher one dir and count from there' and it worked
 :)

 This worked fine, and when I uploaded files, WP made links like that:
 http://www.optimiced.com/bg/wp-uploads/2007/03/image-file.jpg

 After I made an upgrade to 2.1.x, and when I uploaded files, links became:
 http://www.optimiced.com/bg/../wp-uploads/2007/03/image-file.jpg

 Interesting, but this worked anyway, but still it's a bug. In the source
 files (I upload mostly images) become:
 http://www.optimiced.com/bg/../wp-uploads/2007/03/image-file.jpg

 ...with '../' instead of '/bg/wp-uploads...' etc.

 OK, I tried to re-define upload dir.

 I tried to specify absolute path, instead of relative, like:

 /home/myusername/mydomain.com/wp-uploads/

 It didn't work, WP added "http://www.mydomain.com" in front and everything
 screwed up.

 I tried "http://www.mydomain.com/wp-uploads/", it didn't work, either.

 I tried to specify absolute path like '/wp-uploads/', it didn't work...

 I tried everything, but nope.

 After upgrade to 2.2, it is the same.

 WP adds "http://www..." or directly uses "../" so in both cases I have
 wrong URLs to images and thumbnails :(

 What can be done?...

 Can WP again become flexible when specifying directories for upload which
 are higher, than where WP is installed?...

 I am not sure what and where in the code of WP was changed but I know that
 in 2.05 when I used '../' in OPTIONS -> MISC -> UPLOADS DIR, it was
 resolved in the URLs correctly, and since 2.1.x, it is 'printed' directly
 (as is) in the links, so things to do not work anymore :(

 I do not know enough PHP to propose a fix, but I am sure that if we can
 compare 2.05 and 2.2, a difference will be seen :)

 I know other people who use an upload other than the default (and higher
 than WP is installed) and if bug fix is proposed and implemented, would be
 great:)

 Thank you! :-)

 I'll provide more details, if you need!

--