[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #2531: Functions for registering additional capabilities and getting a list of all capabilities

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sun Mar 5 16:08:28 GMT 2006

#2531: Functions for registering additional capabilities and getting a list of all
capabilities
       Id:  2531            |      Status:  new
Component:  Administration  |    Modified:  Sun Mar  5 16:08:28 2006
 Severity:  normal          |   Milestone:  2.1
    Owner:  anonymous       |    Reporter:  markjaquith
Comment (by markjaquith):

 If this doesn't make it in, what should we recommend plugin authors do in
 the interim?  They can't assume that '''any''' of the default roles exist
 (by name).  The best they can do is initially marry their capability to an
 existing capability (I suggested manage_options, as it is pretty much a
 given that anyone who can manage options can do anything else).  Plugin
 authors will have to write the code to do this themselves, which leads to
 bloat, and confusion about the best way to do it.  And then when this fix
 does come out for 2.1, they'll have to support both ways, or leave 2.0.2
 users behind.  Maybe not "largely useless," but defitely "highly
 annoying." :-)

 I'm writing it for 2.1 regardless... but I really think it's not going to
 be that much code, and plugin authors (and consequently WP users) would
 benefit a lot from the code.  Let me know how you feel once I have a patch
 up.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2531>
WordPress Trac <http://wordpress.org/>