[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #2965: Permalinks with category may give a 404 error if /category/ is not in the URL

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sat Jul 22 01:17:56 GMT 2006

URL
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  PozHonks  |       Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect    |      Status:  new
Component:  General   |     Version:  2.0.3
 Severity:  minor     |    Keywords:  permalinks category 404
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
 I use the following permalinks structure: /%category%/%postname% . If
 someone accesses to this page http://www.domain.com/holidays/my-super-
 summer-time , then in his browser '''manually''' erases the postmane to
 come to this http://www.domain.com/holidays/ , there is a 404 error,
 because it should have been http://www.domain.com/category/holidays/
 instead.

 To solve this, I've personnally created redirect rules in my .htaccess
 file, but, I think, WP should edit this by itself in order to prevent this
 error. Here is an example of a redirect rule I use in the .htaccess file:
 {{{
 RedirectMatch permanent ^/holidays/$
 http://www.domain.com/category/holidays/

Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2965>