[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #7249: Support Forum: Show potentially relevant topics to user before they submit a new one.

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Sep 4 17:05:31 UTC 2023

#7249: Support Forum: Show potentially relevant topics to user before they submit
a new one.
----------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  dufresnesteven  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new

Comment (by renyot):

 I've been thinking that it might not necessarily have to be 'quality
 checked'. As long as a topic has been marked as 'resolved' at some point,
 it indicates that a solution for a specific issue was provided. For those
 who are about to start a new topic, it offers more references. They might
 directly find what they need from it for the topics they originally wanted
 to start or get inspiration from them.

 This could potentially reduce the starting of relevant topics. Sometimes
 when I reply to topics, I discover through a quick search of the forum
 that there are several related threads. Some of these already have the
 info that new topics need. I'm guessing that many times, users simply
 forget they have the option to search the forum first.

 I also agree that this isn't the standard definition or the intended use
 of a forum. What if, instead of forcing users to search before posting, we
 just show a prompt with relevant topics, hinting they take a look at those
 first? This might save users the waiting time for a moderator's response
 (sometimes moderators might just say the topic has already been discussed
 here and there), and it would allow moderators or contributors to focus on
 genuinely new topics.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7249#comment:7>