[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #5093: Proposal to allow users to remove URLs that they have added to their posts in the support forums

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Mar 17 11:21:45 UTC 2020

#5093: Proposal to allow users to remove URLs that they have added to their posts
in the support forums
----------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  carike                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect                |      Status:  new
Description changed by jonoaldersonwp:

Old description:

> Our volunteers and moderators aren't our target audience. The forums
> aren't "for" them. They're for the end users, and people who post
> messages. If we're providing a bad experience to end users (which is
> demonstrably true at the moment), then we need to solve for that first
> and foremost.
>
> If solving that impacts the resources/processes of our volunteers, then
> we need to change those resources/processes. We can't just immediately
> shut down any discussion of improvements which require additional
> volunteer resource as a dead-end, unless we've actively decided that
> WordPress' reputation and market share doesn't matter to (all of) us -
> which as far as I know, isn't the case.
>
> Let's try to be a bit more open and productive around how we explore
> this, maybe? If volunteer resourcing is the issue, then let's not
> conflate that with the utility or viability of the proposal, and let's
> work collaboratively to find a compromise. I think that, perhaps, we're
> all over-reacting on the amount of additional resource required to police
> this. We already police it, and, it's evidently a drain.
>
> What if we just gave the moderators the tool to remove the link, as a
> test? Then nobody's doing any more / different work than at present, but
> we create some more happy, positive interactions, rather than making
> enemies of the community? If nobody dies, then we circle back around,
> regroup with some learnings and insight, and discuss next steps.

New description:

 I broke the ticket! Woo! Oops.

Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5093#comment:17>