[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #3773: Request from Marketing Team to Implement Navigation Change at make.wordpress.org

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 4 21:24:35 UTC 2020

#3773: Request from Marketing Team to Implement Navigation Change at
make.wordpress.org
-------------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  westcountymedia                      |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  new

Comment (by westcountymedia):

 I think there's already some confusion happening here, and that's what I'm
 hoping we can resolve with this change.

 To my mind, "Get Involved" is way more all-encompassing than "Contribute"
 which is clearly what ake.wordpress.org is focusing on, those who want to
 not just interact with the WordPress Community, but also directly
 contribute.

 Maybe instead of one "Get Involved" link in the main navigation at
 WordPress.org, this should be split into two links: "Events" and
 "Contribute" with WordCamps, Meetups & Contributor Day links living under
 the new "Events" link/page, and "Contribute" link navigating to the
 make.wordpress.org site in it's current form.

 My main thought here is that I consider Meetup, WordCamp & Contributor Day
 attendees as actively involved in the WordPress Community. We are
 constantly directing our meetup attendees to visit the WordPress.org as a
 resource, and it seems to me like acknowledging the wildly successful
 WordPress Meetups, WordCamps and Contributor days on the home page
 (somewhere, ANYWHERE for that matter) would allow many people who feel
 they are already "involved" in the WordPress Community to become even more
 involved, and hopefully end up as contributors as well.

 And while yes, these events do get wide exposure through the WordPress
 Dashboard Events Widget, I also know from experience that may new (and
 even seasoned) WordPress users rarely view or interact with their
 Dashboard.

 I honestly just don't see the logic in not completing the circle by
 including links to Meetup, WordCamp & Contributor Day events prominently
 at WordPress.org.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3773#comment:11>