[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #4236: Support: In short guidelines for review writing, mention that links aren't tolerated

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Mar 6 13:58:48 UTC 2019

#4236: Support: In short guidelines for review writing, mention that links aren't
tolerated
----------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  tobifjellner    |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new

Comment (by jdembowski):

 Replying to [comment:14 Otshelnik-Fm]:

 Doesn't your link demonstrate that the notifications worked and that the
 user who left the review received the same message? Do you not understand
 that part of that is to educate the user as well?

 That's a serious question. You do not like the outcome, I get that. But
 the user did something that they needed to be educated about and I did
 that.

 I'm sorry you do not like the choice I made but there are many reviews to
 look at and review. Archiving the review was simply efficient while
 informing the user. That's my choice and other moderators can and
 sometimes do it differently. Both moderation actions are acceptable and
 doesn't change anything about reviews: users should not use the reviews
 for links.

 In that specific case it was restored with an edit. In another case just
 today, someone left 10 consecutive reviews spaced about 5 minutes apart
 with a link to their site. That's spamming. The reviews were also archived
 and the user was banned. Are you suggesting I edit the links and let that
 pass? No. A choice was made how to deal with that just as it was for the
 review you linked to.

 This is all very interesting conversationally but is well past the point
 of this ticket.

 I proposed that the form for submitting reviews be updated with a sentence
 to ask the user to not use links in reviews. Something like this.

 > "Please do not add links to your review, keep the review about your
 experience in text only."

 The FAQ can also be updated with some small amount of verbiage.

 https://wordpress.org/support/forum-user-guide/faq/

 I don't think it needs an 800 word essay but a sentence or two can help
 clear this up.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4236#comment:15>