[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #3773: Request from Marketing Team to Implement Navigation Change at make.wordpress.org

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jul 12 18:17:42 UTC 2019

#3773: Request from Marketing Team to Implement Navigation Change at
make.wordpress.org
-------------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  westcountymedia                      |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  new

Comment (by andreamiddleton):

 To my mind, https://make.wordpress.org/ is oriented toward people who
 already know a little bit about what contributing to WordPress/open source
 might entail. My support for this opinion is the content at the top of the
 page: "Whether you’re a budding developer, a designer, or just like
 helping out, we’re always looking for people to help make WordPress even
 better."

 That goal — of making WordPress even better — probably isn't the goal of
 most new WordPress users, and that's ok. Attending a WordPress meetup or
 WordCamp is a great way to learn more about WordPress and connect with
 other WordPress enthusiasts, and is certainly a step in the direction of
 becoming a contributor, but simple event attendance is not an intrinsic
 contribution. :)

 I think adding Local Events to that "Meetings... Team Updates"  nav bar
 would be confusing or disappointing to anyone looking for actual
 contribution-focused events,  because meetups and WordCamps don't
 consistently have content dedicated to learning how to contribute to
 WordPress. I could see the benefit of a Local Events that goes to a page
 listing Contributor Days, but that page does not currently exist.

 WordCamps and meetups get unprecedented promotion through being listed on
 the WordPress dashboard; while I'm always excited to consider other ways
 to promote WordPress events, I think this particular approach is likely to
 result in confusion, which is not ideal.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3773#comment:10>