[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #4027: Support posts which have been closed to replies, and have no replies, should be noindex'd

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Feb 1 18:05:11 UTC 2019

#4027: Support posts which have been closed to replies, and have no replies,
should be noindex'd
----------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  jonoaldersonwp  |       Owner:  dd32
     Type:  defect          |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by coffee2code):

 Rather than delve into previous intent and (mis)understanding, we should
 just get an overview of how the behavior should be going forward. Here is
 how is how `noindex,follow` is currently applied:

 * Topics that are closed without replies. (Note that any topics with no
 activity within the last 6 months get auto-closed.)
 * Topics that haven't had any activity within the last year (all of which
 have undoubtedly been auto-closed). This is regardless of whether the
 topic has replies or not.

 I don't think there's much debate about the first item.

 The second item is to prevent surfacing topics from say 13 years ago that
 likely have debatable merit nowadays.

 So what about the current behavior is undesirable and why?

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4027#comment:9>