[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #4360: Trac throwing errors about missing or invalid form token/secure cookies on ticket updates

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Apr 4 07:19:45 UTC 2019

#4360: Trac throwing errors about missing or invalid form token/secure cookies on
ticket updates
---------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  williampatton  |       Owner:  dd32
     Type:  defect         |      Status:  accepted
Changes (by dd32):

 * keywords:  needs-testing needs-screenshots =>
 * owner:  (none) => dd32
 * status:  new => accepted

Old description:

> Trac has been directing people to an error page when they try to submit
> comments or updates to tickets. I first seen this problem mentioned on
> April 30th.
>
> The message reads `Missing or invalid form token. Secure cookies are
> enabled, you must use https to submit forms.`.
>
> The submissions are coming from pages that are https in the browser
> though and cookies are enabled.

New description:

 Trac has been directing people to an error page when they try to submit
 comments or updates to tickets. I first seen this problem mentioned on
 March 30th.

--

Comment:

 We've started looking into this, and have tracked it down to a combination
 of a Caching change about a week ago, and seemingly a Firefox issue with
 mixed-content pages which causes the form token cookie to be reset more
 often.

 One of the sticking points is that Trac creates a session in it's DB (And
 browser cookies) for every visitor, even if they're not logged in.. which
 as you might expect, means it's not very cacheable. ''Thanks Trac!

 We've got some config in place to allow Trac pages to be cached (ignoring
 the cookies) but it's also affecting logged in users.

 Stay tuned, we'll get this sorted.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4360#comment:1>