[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #3811: wp-login.php does not allow redirecting 'read' capability (Subscriber) to Dashboard instead of Profile upon login

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Sep 18 15:26:40 UTC 2018

#3811: wp-login.php does not allow redirecting 'read' capability (Subscriber) to
Dashboard instead of Profile upon login
------------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  cliffpaulick            |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect                  |     Status:  new
Component:  Login & Authentication  |   Keywords:
 https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/4.9.8/wp-login.php#L965

 I understand checking if $redirect_to is empty, but why specifically
 intercept users without 'edit_posts' capability?

 Here's some code that I am using to override this:
 https://gist.github.com/cliffordp/35d74c3bceec9fbd10547b5d1ba988e5

 I'm hoping this snippet will not be needed in the future.

 Thank you.