[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #3942: Themes homepage shouldn't rely on JS, and shouldn't call the 'featured' state

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Nov 23 09:31:14 UTC 2018

#3942: Themes homepage shouldn't rely on JS, and shouldn't call the 'featured'
state
-----------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  jonoaldersonwp   |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect           |     Status:  new
Component:  Theme Directory  |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+--------------------
 When loading https://wordpress.org/themes/, JavaScript is used to
 immediately change the page state to match that of
 https://wordpress.org/themes/browse/featured/. This causes SEO,
 accessibility and analytics headaches.

 I'm assuming that the intent is that the 'Featured' view should act as the
 'Themes homepage'. If this is the case, then:
 - `/themes/browse/featured/` should not exist as a distinct page (and
 requests to this URL should 301 redirect to `/themes/`)
 - Meta content (titles, descriptions, open graph tags, etc) for `/themes/`
 should be updated to reflect that this page is both the themes index,
 _and_ a representation of featured themes.
 - We should remove the JavaScript 'reload' behaviour entirely.

 Additionally, the page always loads with a large placeholder containing
 the text, `"No themes found. Try a different search."`. This is removed
 via JS if results are found.

 This text should be removed entirely (as the default), and only returned
 for queries which genuinely return no results.