[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #3898: Create a nice /support Slack command to inform users Slack is for development

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 1 05:20:17 UTC 2018

#3898: Create a nice /support Slack command to inform users Slack is for
development
-----------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  garrett-eclipse  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement      |     Status:  new
Component:  Slack & IRC      |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+--------------------
 Hello,

 I've seen alot of users ask support questions in #core and other places
 and found contributors regurgitating the same information over and over.

 This can become a nuisance and sometimes comes off as an 'in-your-face'
 way of directing users to the correct support channels.

 It would be nice to have a preset message template with support
 information/links that could be triggered with a Slack command like
 `/announce`.

 Something like `/support @username` would create a message such as;
 > Hello @username,
 >
 > This Slack channel is for WordPress core development. For support and
 general chatting please visit our support forums and IRC.

 > Support Forums - https://wordpress.org/support/
 > IRC Channel - https://make.wordpress.org/support/irc-support-channel/
 >
 > Good luck and have fun coding.

 This would simplify the contributor response and remove any potential for
 being confrontational.

 Not sure if it's possible but thought it would be helpful.

 Thanks