[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #2107: Prevent posting 10k lines of logs in replies, recommend Pastebin or GitHub gists

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 9 23:09:57 UTC 2018

#2107: Prevent posting 10k lines of logs in replies, recommend Pastebin or GitHub
gists
----------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  ocean90         |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new

Comment (by Clorith):

 We are encouraging users to get debug data, and with our hopes of getting
 something for it into core, it would be a bad experience to then ship them
 off to a 3rd party site before making a post, adding another barrier
 basically.

 What may work as a compromise here, is detecting if they're posting mass
 amounts of text without any code tags, and if they are show a warning like
 this:

 > You are about to post a very large amount of plain text. For improved
 readability, we will wrap it in code tags. You may want to consider
 splitting up your content, or using a paste service if this is not
 desirable.

 If they still post it as is, we would wrap it in code tags for
 readability, the user was warned this would happen but chose to go with
 it.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2107#comment:2>