[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #3699: Deprecated methods/functions/classes/hooks should be included in the @since tax archive for the version they were deprecated in

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jul 6 15:15:51 UTC 2018

#3699: Deprecated methods/functions/classes/hooks should be included in the @since
tax archive for the version they were deprecated in
---------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  pbiron         |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement    |     Status:  new
Component:  Developer Hub  |   Keywords:  2nd-opinion
---------------------------+-------------------------
 For example
 [[https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/wp_ajax_wp_fullscreen_save_post/|wp_ajax_wp_fullscreen_save_post()]]
 was deprecated in `4.3.0` but does not show up in the `@since` tax archive
 for that version:
 [[https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/since/4.3.0/?post_type%5B0%5D
 =wp-parser-function]].

 Such deprecated items correctly have the `deprecated` callout and the
 version they were deprecated in correctly appears in the `Changelog`
 section.

 I think this is necessary for consistency with how other "modifications"
 are handled.

 For example, when viewing
 [[https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/add_rewrite_endpoint/|add_rewrite_endpoint()]],
 if I click on the
 [[https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/since/4.3.0/|4.3.0]] link in
 the `Changelog` section (and paginate far enough) I will find
 `add_rewrite_endpoint()`.  I was suprised to find out that the same
 doesn't happen for the equivalent links when the `Changelog` entry is for
 deprecation.

 The necessary fix is in [[https://github.com/WordPress/phpdoc-parser
 |phpdoc-parser]]. I'll do a PR against `phpdoc-parser` if folks agree the
 suggestion is a good one.

 Related: #1926