[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #3381: Edit the letter to hosts and associated info to not be confusing/vague/misleading

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jan 16 17:02:35 UTC 2018

#3381: Edit the letter to hosts and associated info to not be
confusing/vague/misleading
---------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  DavidAnderson  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect         |      Status:  new

Comment (by DavidAnderson):

 As I read the code, there are only two things which happen if nginx (as
 composed to Joe-Random-Webserver) is detected:

 1) You get shown a hyperlink to Nginx documentation telling you how to set
 up rewrites in the Nginx configuration. (Other uses of the $is_nginx flag
 are indicating that certain things should not be done.... things which are
 also not done on Joe-Random-Webserver, e.g. writing out an .htaccess
 file).

 2) CodeMirror is put into Nginx mode. I don't know the effects of that,
 but it sounds like something that should be patched in CodeMirror, rather
 than the consumer telling CodeMirror (why would CodeMirror not put itself
 in "Nginx mode" by default if applicable?).

 N.B. There's also more-than-comparable targeted support for IIS... which
 arguably is more powerful than Nginx, since it can support user-controlled
 configuration (web.config files) - that's more user-friendly than a link
 to sysadmin documentation.

 I've been running WP sites on lighttpd for a decade, without issues. Then
 there's Lightspeed, which supports (most of) .htaccess too, so is more
 user-friendly in that it'll support core and plugin functionality that
 uses .htaccess.

 Note: none of this is anything remotely in "this webserver is best"
 territory. I'm not interested in that. I'm just saying that the WP
 documentation on this page is ambiguous (different sections imply
 different things), unnecessarily scares users of other webservers (nothing
 that we've said so far justifies the word "robust", implying that
 alternatives are more flimsy), and doesn't (AFAICT - there may be things
 in the code I've misunderstood) reflect the code.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3381#comment:2>